Reflection on my 2015

December 31, 2015

Beautiful words from one of my favorite poets

I think most people will agree with me: 2015 was a particularly bad year in general. For me atleast it was. I remember thinking on the first, fresh day in January of 2015, as I always think: I hope this is going to be a good year. But it wasn't to be. Well, in most cases that is.

Many people I knew for a lifetime died, others heard devastating news that they have to fight battles against terrible illnesses, and some died from it shortly after. I wasn't the only one suffering so many losses; almost everyone around me did. And ofcourse, 2015 was also the year of horrible, horrible terrorist attacks, which cost so many unnecessary lives in a most brutal way.

It felt as if 2015 was becoming a survival of the fittest. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't buckle down and start hoping that 2016 ís going to be a grand year full of opportunities, chances, health for ourselves and our loved ones, love, happiness and success.

Now, 2015 had good things, too, ofcourse! I had amazing opportunities -which I took with both of my half moon manicured hands- to collaborate with great brands. I also got to know myself a little bit better through therapy; I still have a long way to go to make traumatic events a thing of the past, but I am on my way. Slowly does it. More good things this year: Ben got an amazing new job, two actually, and, ofcourse, best of all? The arrival of a new family member: our gorgeous Siberian forest cat, Percy.


This year I became more assertive. I simply had to be, to make sure people did not overrun me. I started to weed out many people in my life. Those who absorbed my energy: out! I simply don't have time for stress and I don't have time for people feeding off my energy. What 2015 learned me is that life can be over for all of us within the blink of an eye. Therefore, I want to have as little negativity in life as possible. I want to enjoy life instead of being sucked into a whirlwind of dread. My circle of friends became smaller and smaller due to my weeding, and I noticed that this is how I like it. I now know whó I have in my life, and having the certainty that I can depend on them and they on me. I will never, ever settle for less anymore. Neither should you with the people you choose to spend your life with.

Through this way, I want to thank people for their continuing support. As usual: I haven't been the easiest person to be around with. Many times I just wanted to crawl in the darkest corner of the house (and did so), be a recluse, cancel all appointments, have nothing to do with the world. But there were amazing people who made sure I was okay and that I was quickly standing on both my feet again. The patience these people have with me is beyond words, and I am forever in their debt.

Also through this way I want to thank my online friends and readers for still visiting my little ol' blog; do know that your lovely comments always make my day. In 2016, I hope to meet many more lovely fellow bloggers; looking forward to the posts of those who also blog.

Let's make 2016 a helluva year! Grow into the person you have always wanted to become. Do new and daring things, cause that means growth. Wear that red lipstick and those gorgeous heels, let the ones you love know that you love them, taste the food you always wanted to try, start that new hobby you've always had an interest in. Try to be the best version of yourself possible. Escape the ordinary. Don't settle for anything less than the best ... cause you deserve it.

Make a fresh start and let regret be a thing of the past. Now let's start the journey!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DARLINGS! SEE YOU IN 2016!

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. That is such a profound, accurate way to look at things. I completely agree that it felt like a year of "survival of the fittest". Wisely said, dear Lindsay.

    I'm truly sorry that it was, by and large, such a difficult one for you in your own life, on top of all of the world's problems. With all my heart, I hope that 2016 is significantly better, happier and less fought with heartbreak for you.

    Giant hugs & joyful New Year's wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it definitely started better than 2015!! I wish you a marvelous 2016 aswell, and a 2016 where Tony won't be away from home for such a long time like he was in 2015!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your heartfelt reflection on 2015. And thank you most of all for the words of encouragement to make 2016 a helluva year! xxxooo, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa. I hope your 2016 will be grand!

      Delete
  3. Love it! In 2015 I had a "character development" and I found myself. But what a year! I went through depression, school almost killed my sanity and many other stuff... I hope 2016 will be better. Happy new year! Hope 2016 will bring lots of glamour to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from your depression, which I recognize, I am glad to hear that you went through a character development. It's usually the hardships that change us in a better person. I hope 2016 will bring you laughter, health and joy!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images