My goals for 2016

January 03, 2016

Usually on sunday I would have posted a recap of my week, but today I decided to write my goals for this fresh and new year: 2016. Something tells me that this year is really going to be a good one. And what a relief it would be after that dreadful year, 2015, which is now luckily in the past.

Although I don't really have new years resolutions, I do want to make some promises to myself. And, well, perhaps they are in some way new years resolutions, but I don't want to call them that way. It puts pressure on myself and it might give me a feeling of failure when, at the end of the year, I didn't 'make it.'

Although, like I've said in my previous post, 2015 was a bad year for me, it gave me beautiful things aswell. I started working on myself really hard, polish myself and grow into a better person, view the world from a different perspective.

I want to make life interesting again in 2016. I want to challenge myself, do new things, and go on more adventures, travel often, and educate myself.

Let's see what my checklist is.

☑ Living healthy 
Living healthy has always been a top priority for me and I really got that working in 2015; it became a habit. Due to living healthy, my appearance started to shine: my hair became fuller, my skin started to glow and heal, I lost weight, I became more in shape due to yoga, and so forth. I felt more energetic and clean. Food did not make me sick anymore, but gave me resilience.

In 2016 I want to take it a step further and live even more healthy and 'green' than I did before. In 2015, at the beginning of the year, I became a vegetarian (again) and for 2016 I decided to eat mainly plant-based food, cutting out most animal products: for my own health, and for a clear conscience.

☑ Expand my food photography
Still a hobby, I really desire to expand it. I want to educate myself further in food photography. I am going to take big steps in achieving this. I love to photograph food and I'm good at it. Food plays a huge role in my life (due to my food blog) and ideally I'd love to earn my money with it in the far future.

☑ Make Miss Lindsay Lane bigger.
The blog that is, ofcourse. In 2015 I had the feeling that it finally took off. My blog got noticed, I had the opportunity to work with brands that I love, and I am planning to continue this and do everything within reach to make it grow bigger.

☑ Let the past be the past
I am a person that, somehow, dwells too much in the past. I have those moments at night when I am dead tired, but my brain decides to bring up all the things I regret, or it makes me think about the pain and sadness I have endured in life. It gives me an incredible stress, and that needs to stop. Sleep is awefully important to me and my health. So, brain, nighttime is for sleeping! And not entirely unimportant during the day aswell: let bygones be bygones. There's not much we can do about the past, but learn from it.

☑ Work on my trauma's, and let them be a thing of the past
It requires a lot of me to talk about my trauma's, so I never did talk about it - with the exception of my therapist. One trauma is particularly hard to beat. I've had different therapies for it to treat it, e.g EMDR, which is to no avail, yet. It failed, because I still find it hard to accept that it has happened to me, and I block my emotions. This refusal and blockade led to chronic PTSD, which made me suffer an even greater setback.

Why talk about it now? Well, in order to let it be a thing of the past, I have to talk about it and accept it, aswell as the emotions that come with it (I have blocked them for so long). Also, I want to remove the stigma. The cause of my trauma happens to a frightening large number of women; 1 in 4 actually (men 1 in 71). It can happen to all of us, and our society drastically needs to do something about it. I want to fight for that. Plus, in the end, I want to help people who have gone through what I have gone through. To be able to do that, I need to help myself first and foremost.

Together with my trusted therapist, I work so hard on this. It's really difficult, painful, scary and sometimes I feel it will never go away. But he and I do not give up working on this. So, my fight against my trauma('s) continues in 2016 and I hope to make huge progression.

☑ Stay creative
Creativity is a lifesaver for me. It has helped me through many battles. Last year I didn't respond to it as much as I would have liked to, but I am planning to change that in 2016. In 2015 I slowly picked up painting, poetry and drawing again. I want more of that in 2016!


Be less of a slave to the internet and smartphone
Even though my blog is the biggest reason why I am active on the internet, I want to reduce it. I want to start blogging on regular times, reduce my social networks for social networking only, and just start to live a little. I want to put away my smartphone more often, and not be available 24/7. I have a life outside of the internet, and I want to enjoy it.

And you? Do you have any new years resolutions or otherwise plans for this year? I'd love to hear it/them!





You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  1. (((((hugs))))) I was sexually abused as a teenager (and as a 5yo) and was raped by a partner. For so long it wasn't something I felt was an issue and then at the end of 2014 I was watching something that had a rape scene in it and I spiraled down into a pit of depression and was diagnosed with PTSD. I had never had trouble talking about it or accepting it before...but this time it was different. It consumed me. Anything could trigger me. But slowly I am working through it all over again. I hope you can come out the other side too. ((((hugs))))

    I hope 2016 is a beautiful year filled with wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you went through, feeling it was not an issue before, is a 'normal' stage many sexual assault survivors go through. I tried to live my life as I had lived it before the assault. In the end it always backlashes into your face, and thén it becomes a big problem. Like you, and I, have experienced. PTSD is almost always the outcome.

      I hope it will work out for you and that you become, albeit a different person than you were before the assaults, a victor. Cause that's what we are: survivors ... victors.

      I'm here for you if you ever feel the need to talk about it with someone who has gone through a similar situation. You can find my email at the sidebar.

      I hope 2016 will be a good one for you! xxxx big hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. Mooie doelen heb je jezelf gesteld. Ik hoop voor je dat het lukt om je trauma's zo goed mogelijk te verwerken en wens je een heel mooi 2016! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel Rosanne. Ik wens jou ook een fantastisch 2016!

      Delete
  3. Stellar, admirable goals. There are so many similarities in both our pasts and present days lives, dear Lindsay, and I want you to know that I am always here cheering you on and supporting your goals in any way that I can.

    Here's to an awesome 2016!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you só much, Jessica. You have no idea what it means to me. Know that it is absolutely vice versa!

      Delete
  4. Nice pics :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Lindsay.
    First of all: you DO know that, by revealing that there is a trauma within you, you have taken a major step forward. So: it's something worth praising! No matter how slow, any moving forward is better than no moving at all. Standstill is, in my mind, the scariest place one can be.
    So, I salute your decision to "let it go".
    Here's a hint for sleep (and life): just before falling asleep, let bad things go away, by re-enforcing positive; remind yourself of the GOOD things that happened that day - no matter how small, insignificant or odd they might be. If they made you smile, they deserve to be remembered.
    You'll sleep better.
    And, you+ll live better.

    ..here's to a great 2016!
    (and, stay of slippery ground, spoken from experience!) :)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely and encouraging words. It means a lot to me, you have no idea.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images