Wednesday's Wardrobe Wishlist | Secrets in Lace Dita French Heel Stockings

February 03, 2016

Copyright: Secrets in Lace

I have been obsessed with seamed stockings my whole life, and I would collect vintage ones that were made in the '40s and '50s with the authentic styling of the keyhole, the welt, the reinforced toe and heels, French or Cuban heels, and hand-stitched seams. — Dita Von Teese

In the era's in which wearing girdle's and stockings was a must, most people utterly disliked it. I've read tons of books in which elderly people talked about the 1920s, '30s and '40s and they always mentioned how much they disliked wearing girdles and stockings. They disliked how inexpert it could be; constantly checking if the seams of their stockings were straight, making sure the stockings didn't slip down, or, on a bad day, the constant fight to clasp the back hooks of the girdle to the stockings etc.

Woman correcting her stocking on the street. A scene all too familiar to me.

The above described is all familiar to me. But I love wearing stockings and prefer it above anything else. Fun fact: I once had a pin up photoshoot, and while in the car, one of the garter hooks on the backside decided to let go of the stocking. I really wanted to attach it again before arriving at the studio (otherwise I would have arrived with one of the stockings around my ankle since vintage ones are not elastic), but having not so much space in the car and trying hard to attach the hook to the stocking again, I probably looked really ridiculous to passers by. It must have looked as if I were doing some Yoga in the car. Don't worry, I was a passenger and not the driver.

Luckily these days we have a choice to wear girdles and stockings, some wear them perhaps only in the bedroom when the magic happens, or, like me, on a daily basis.

Like Dita in her quote above, I collect stockings from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s and I used to wear them all the time. I quit doing that ... nowadays I prefer to treasure them, and store them in a special place in my lingerie cabinet only to be worn when I have, for example, a photoshoot or reenactment, and I really have to look the part.

Suffice to say, when I stopped wearing original vintage stockings, I started a hunt for modern stockings with a seam, which, luckily, is not so difficult since they somewhat made a comeback. But finding good quality ones ís somewhat difficult.

When Dita announced on the Internet that her new signature stockings are up for grabs on the website of Secrets in Lace, I knew I had to try them. They look amazing and there's quite a few to choose from. I love all of them by the look of it, but I liked the Dita French Heel, highlighted in this post, the most.

Secrets in Lace: Dita wears these stockings everyday! We worked with Dita on every aspect of these stockings including the styling, color and welt imprint. The Dita Full Fashion Stockings are made to the exacting standards of the 1950's originals complete with her trademark logo imprint on the welt, a hand sewn backseam and finishing hole at the top of the welt. Dita's Reinforced Heel and Toe Stockings and Daytime Sheer Collections are equally as elegant. Exclusively for Dita Von Teese by Secrets In Lace.

Ofcourse I have already ordered a pair!

Choose yours here.

© Secrets in Lace


You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Those are soooo pretty. I love heel stockings. I got one in December for my graduation and I`m in love!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images